Richard:

At 09:37 PM 7/11/99 -0400, you wrote:

>And then people chould choose which version of the root they
>wanted. The heavily regulated Becky Burr/Trademark Lobby root
>or the other one run by the net community.

I know what model I will choose.  And we both know what model corporate
America will choose.  (I can only speak for two corporations, but I believe
they represent the view that will be taken by MANY)

>I think thats a swell idea and if big busines wants to get
>a DNS NOT FOUND error on http://diet-coke.faq while the
>geek community gets say, information about a soft drink, brought to
>you by people that still remember free speech, then I'd say
>we've built gpvernments and big business the kind of Internet
>they want, while not, as a community betraying the open
>principles the Internet was founded on.

Maybe you've hit on something here.  Let's go back 12 years and split the
net!  But let's make sure they have separate roots.  Then, in 5 years, the
government can get jealous and try to reclaim the "commercial" Internet due
to national security!

>--
>Richard Sexton  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | http://dns.vrx.net/tech/rootzone
>http://killifish.vrx.net    http://www.mbz.org    http://lists.aquaria.net
>Bannockburn, Ontario, Canada,  70 & 72 280SE, 83 300SD   +1 (613) 473-1719

Gene Marsh
president, anycastNET Incorporated
330-699-8106