Karl and all IDNO'ers,

  I couldn't agree more with your conclusion here and hence the
subject line I am guessing...   At any rate, it is obvious that the ICANN
(Initial?) and Interim Board are not very familiar with devising good
funding models for non-profit enterprises, such ate the NewCo (ICANN).

  The only other conclusion that I could reasonable conclude is that
the ICANN (Initial?) Interim Board is trying or wanting to use this
desire for the $1/DN registration as an excuse to justify high
board member salaries and extravagant meetings in various places
around the globe...