>  Burr said that
> Commerce had seen the proposed registrar accreditation
> agreement that included the fee and also noted that there were
> not many comments about it during ICANN's comment period -
> apart from long and vociferous comments from NSI.

What was posted for comment is at
http://www.icann.org/draftguidelines.html  (8 Feb 1999)

"...Under the proposal, accredited registrars would pay the variable
component monthly to ICANN based on the number of initial and
renewal SLD registrations they enter into the registry beginning in
July 1999 (the first month of ICANN's first full fiscal year). The
amount due per registration-year would be established in ICANN's
annual budgeting process, in which fees and charges are
established with "the goal of fully recovering the reasonable costs
of the operation of [ICANN] and establishing reasonable reserves."
(See ICANN Bylaws, Article XI, Section 4(b).) To provide greater
certainty to prospective registrars considering entering the
business, this proposal would stipulate that the variable component
would not exceed US$1.00 per registration-year.

          Q35. Are there any practical problems presented by
collection of per-registration  fees at the registrar level?

          Q36. Is it appropriate to have both fixed and variable
components of the accreditation fee?

          Q37. At what level should the fixed component be set?
Should the level vary based on the country in which the registrar is
located?

          Q38. Is there some measure other than registration-years
on which the variable component should be based?

          Q39. Is it beneficial to state a cap on the rate at which the
variable component is computed, to allow registrars to better
assess their prospects in the business?

[...]"

----------

Out of curiosity, I looked through the 100 comments received in the
dedicated comments-guidelines list which was essentially dead by
4 March (Singapore) --  the redoubtable Jim Williams suggested
differential rates for indivs and commercial entities, and Amadeu
wrote

Q35.  Are there any practical problems presented by collection of
per-registration fees at the registrar level?

The only practical question is : why is this per-registration fee
collected at the register and not the registry level?. More than
practical, the problem is one of principles:**does this amount to an
Internet tax?** Why should registrars pay by registration, instead of
contributing to ICANN's expenses based on ICANN's needs as set
in the budget?

Q37.  At what level should the fixed component be set?  Should
the level vary based on the country in which the registrar is located?

At the level of the need for contribution that ICANN's activities
might require form registrars. Differentiated fees (positive
discrimination) has a strong appeal in  this context., And a strong
drawback: the extreme facility that net activities provide for
"offshore flagging".

NSI's comments were 'too long' so one must go offsite to read
them at all (http:// www.netsol.com/policy/icann299/ ) there doesnt
seem to be any evidence that other posters ever did that.
Nevertheless, they are worth looking over in the wake of the Com
Cmte hearings, as the accreditation contract is at the heart of the
dispute.

On question 35-39 relating to the 'variable' registration fee, the
detailed response is:

A fixed application fee from each company applying for
accreditation seems a reasonable way to cover the costs of
processing each application. A variable fee based on registration
years payable by each registrar would be inefficient and unjustified
by any fair allocation of fees [*]in relation to the sources of costs
incurred by ICANN[*]. It would be more appropriate for each registry
(including the IP registries) to bear a proportionate share of
ICANN's operating costs.

  Q40. Are the stated grounds of termination appropriate? Can they
  be made more specific while still preserving their utility?

ICANN has no legitimate interest in establishing direct contractual
relations with registrars. Its limited role in developing accreditation
criteria does not require it to enter into bilateral agreements with
registrars, especially where the terms of the proposed agreement
extend well beyond matters concerning the registrar's minimum
credentials.

ICANN can perform its proper accreditation function simply by
publishing accreditation standards and enforcing them through flow-
down clauses in contracts with registries.

The draft agreement proposed by ICANN attempts to leverage
whatever limited authority it may have as a registrar accreditation
body into much broader powers over the registrar industry. ICANN
thus apparently hopes to acquire such powers by withholding a
registrar's accreditation if the registrar does not capitulate to the
expansive terms of the "accreditation agreement." Such tactics
raise concerns about the enforceability and legality of ICANN's
proposed agreement. As the Department of Commerce cautioned
in the White Paper:

     [t]he new corporation does not need any special grant of
     immunity from the antitrust laws so long as its policies and
     practices are reasonably based on, and no broader than
     necessary to promote the legitimate coordinating objectives of
     the new corporation. [emphasis added].

The White Paper did not contemplate that ICANN would wield such
power. The Department of Commerce expressly stated that its
policy is not to "propose a monolithic structure for Internet
governance, … [but rather to] seek a stable process to address the
narrow issues of management and administration of Internet names
and numbers . . . ." Underscoring the limited scope of ICANN's
proposed authority, the Department of Commerce indicated that
the new corporation (i.e., ICANN) should operate "on principles
similar to those of a standard-setting body."

[...]

==========
Interestingly, NSI also says (re Q5)
... ICANN must recognize that lack of consensus on uniform
standards does not necessarily create a need for top down,
centralized action. In the presence of disagreement, the default
condition in the marketplace is that many diverse actors will
continue to develop and implement policies they believe will best
serve their customers and constituents.

**Dissatisfaction by any constituency with present policies,
whether trademark owners or noncommercial registrants, whether
privacy advocates or those who favor broad distribution of all
information collected in the registration process, is an inevitable
and normal state.** For an open, bottom up, Internet standard
setting body, the key question presented is not "what is the best
policy?" but "does sufficient agreement exist on specific provisions
that will be widely accepted on a voluntary basis?"

Compare the testimony of Esther Dyson, 22 July: "But consensus
does not always or necessarily mean unanimity, and there are
certainly those in the community who disagree, for various
reasons, with particular consensus positions produced by this
process. Some disagreements are philosophical; some are
cultural; some are economic. This is inevitable given the diversity of
interests involved and the cultural, political and economic issues
implicated by the matters that ICANN has dealt with. The fact of
those disagreements, however, is evidence of the process itself,
not of any problems with it."

So in talking about the "embodiment of the Internet community as
a whole [reflecting] the participation of a large and growing number
of technical, business, public-interest, academic, and other
segments,"  does one go on any longer and more vociferously than
the other?

www.netsol.com/policy/icann299/didnt.html

 Questions ICANN Should Have Asked But Did Not

    When should ICANN enter into contracts with registries and on
what terms?

    What should the relationship between ICANN and Regional
Internet Address Registries be?

    What should the overall ICANN budget be?

    Should the DNSO approve fees to registries proposed by ICANN?