At 10:00 PM 7/23/99 -0700, you wrote:

As a former university patent manager I am quite familiar with Bayh - Dole,
and with the philosophy underlying it.  The purpose of granting IP rights to
the research institute was to help ensure that the federal money was well
spent, i.e., by the research results becoming commercialized through
university licensing to private companies instead of having the USG just
set them on a shelf.  That such taxpayer money should lead to intellectual
property owned solely by some private corporation was never a part of that
philosophy.  (Government efforts to commercialize inventions in its so-called
"technology transfer" programs have been a laugh, mostly because (a) the
Congress and (b) the research sponsors themselves do not understand
the commercialization process, with its inherent marketing requirements
and need for technology licensing expertise, and hence they don't know how
to support and sustain such programs -- nor do they really give a rip.)
And all of that pertains especially to road pavers such as NSI, whom I
agree doesn't own squat.

Bill Lovell