>I suspect that I wasn't clear in what I wrote and that I didn't really do
>a good job of expressing what I wanted to say...
>
>There is starting to be a move to do quasi-directory services that use DNS
>protocols (and unwitting DNS clients.)
>
>There are starting to be intermediary devices that intercept and
>manipulate DNS queries in order to redirect things like HTTP sessions to
>servers that are best suited to serve the user.

Well, not only that, but, there are also systems are are beginning
to store data in the dns, rather than just use it to provide a
pointer to a service. Data that is already ordered in a heirarchical
nature, but so large as to be problematical in it's management -
is ain ideal candidate to use DNS technology as a database.

You don't want, however, a zone with the latin name of
everything that has ever lives mixed in with the com
zone, however, a 700 meg DNS zone is already enough to
crash whatever you're reading this on with few exceptions,
and a 5 gig file would tend to be worse. That's not to say
you couldn't do it on the right machine, but you probablu
shouln't, and at anyt rate the management issues of this
compared to .com are orthogonal.

--
Richard Sexton  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | http://dns.vrx.net/tech/rootzone
http://killifish.vrx.net    http://www.mbz.org    http://lists.aquaria.net