>> Suppose that you want to reach the Yahoo site.
>> Under the current system ("legacy", if you want), with one root system, you
>> are sure to get it by typing http:\\www.yahoo.com.
>
>If they type that they won't get anywhere  :)
>
>> If you have multiple roots, that point to different parts of the Name Space
>> for some TLDs, and if you have different .com registries, by typing
>> http:\\www.yahoo.com you may reach the Yahoo site, but you may also reach a
>> different server.
>
>I haven't seen any suggestion that would lead to this situation you
>are alluding to.

THE POINT - and this addresses the post above and the
one to vixie - is that dns hgas to return a right answer.

I don't think there is any question what you should get
if you type http://www.yahoo.com. In fact there are
laws you run afoul of if you don't return the right
answer. That's a good thing.

The only difference in opinion is where returning "no such
domain" to a query for, say, tangled.web is a right or
wrong answer. I claim Paul's nameserver is broke, he claims
mine it. That's ok, people disagree all the time.

About 18 months ago, Vint Cerf said "I hope a critical mass
of willingness will emerge in short order." How much willingness
do you see whan you look aorund?

--
Richard Sexton  |  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  | http://dns.vrx.net/tech/rootzone
http://killifish.vrx.net    http://www.mbz.org    http://lists.aquaria.net