Friday, July 30, 1999, 1:10:44 PM, Richard J. Sexton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> At 12:47 PM 7/30/99 -0700, you wrote:
>>Friday, July 30, 1999, 12:37:33 PM, Richard J. Sexton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> Look at http://www.activeworlds.com
>>
>>> No matter what you write or find, you won't find
>>> anything more suited to what you want than this.
>>
>>Activeworlds is quite nice, however it has draw backs.
>>It is quite CPU intensive, it is not multiplatform, requires
>>registration for the best experience (which is a cost of $20/user I
>>believe, it's been a while) and then you are depending on a server
>>that another company is running.

> It doesn't run well in under 32M. Apart from that, it works fine.

> There are emulators on the mac and unix that can run it on other
> platforms.

I've used wine under linux, and graphic intense apps don't run very
well at all.  Even simple graphic viewers in email clients have a hard
time.  Its far from ready for primetime.

I've not used the Mac win32 emulators.

Its an interesting development, but I don't think a solution like that
is really workable in the near future as a means of online
participation, especially looking at the costs.

As to IRC being a hostile place, I really don't experience that.  IRC
can be a very friendly place.  And right now, I don't see any other
freely available option that has the best chance of working for
everyone who wants to participate, regardless of their machine specs,
OS, financial condition, etc.

--
William X. Walsh
General Manager, DSo Internet Services

The Law is not your mommy or daddy to go crying
to every time you have something to whimper about.