I think Ronda Hauben, on the one hand, and Gordon Cook and Gene Marsh,
on the other, are talking past each other.  There is one distinct difference
between ITU rules and RFCs, of course, and that is that the ITU is an
international body subscribed to by national governments, while RFCs
grew out of no such context. However, that does not mean that RFCs do
not establish any precedent at all.

Example: Quoting from Karl Auerbach: "(All in all the 512 byte restriction
is a pain, and an obsolete one.)" That "restriction," which would have come
out of a technical protocol limited by word size is in a very definite sense
as much of the "law of internet governance" as is the fact that we in the
U. S. drive on the right hand side of the road, while in England and many
other places they drive on the left, a part of that kind of "governance".
Necessity becomes practice becomes custom becomes an adopted
(only 512 bytes, if you please) "regulation" becomes a law and the world
follows along, hopefully adapting to better ways as the technology
improves.  Do RFCs have anything to do with freedom of speech or
rights of privacy? I think not (or at least I've not seen one that purports
to). Do they have to do with domain names, and are domain names a
part of "internet governance?" There were and are RFCs relating to
domain names, so the answers are yes and yes.  De facto becomes
de jure, and that is how the common law comes about.  No end of
statutes refer to "accepted business practices" or "community
standards" or the like as the standard against which some specific
conduct is measured, so people who write RFCs or set up protocols
or distribute roots in whatever way are in fact writing the "law" on
which future decisions will be made, whether they know it or not.

Bill Lovell