Ah yes, what bliss ignorance is....thanks for reminding me why I
filtered both these people.

>Hey Bob, what plans to You Ronda and Bill have for us ?
>

>At 10:38 PM 8/3/99 -0700, you wrote:
> >At 08:13 AM 8/3/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >
> >Concerning the following stuff below, much of this discussion
> >intermingles structure and function without distinguishing one
> >from the other.  Is a root server a piece of hardware, i.e., a
> >piece of the structure, that can be privately owned? Indeed,
> >yes.  Does that structure carry out a public function?
> >Indeed, yes. If that particular piece of hardware was not
> >doing it, some other box would be. It does not matter a
> >bit if every bit of plastic and metal by which the internet
> >operates were owned by individuals or companies, and not
> >the government or ICANN or whoever.  The fact remains,
> >all that stuff functions within a framework that grew out of
> >the efforts of the USG, for a public purpose, and if the
> >current hardware and software twiddlers don't want to
> >play the game, others will.
> >
> >If a private network -- 206.5.17.0 or whatever -- wants to
> >set itself up and do whatever, then that's fine; it has both
> >the structure (the hardware) and its own internal function,
> >but as soon as it joins the real world (which of course it
> >already has since it is from the real world that it got
> >206.5.17.0), it becomes a part of the "internetworking"
> >which is the "Internet" and, like USENET, it becomes a
> >part of and subject to the rules of this new civilization,
> >the Internet, within which the members have the need
> >to ensure that the civilization is run for the good of all,
> >neither deteriorating into an absolute dictatorship
> >(which seems to be the current trend) or alternatively
> >into anarchy, which seems to be the favorite way to
> >oppose dictatorship.
> >

> >Bill Lovell
> >

> >> Dear Rhonda,

> >> I have juxtaposed two of your sentences.  One of the
> >> constituent networks - 206.5.17.0 - is mine.  I assure,
> >> it is private.  Most others are.

> >> Is routing an essential function?  How does it occur?
> >> Is there anything public whatsoever about this essential
> >> function?

> >> Can't a private medium be used for communication
> >> among the general public?
> >>

> >> --tony
> >

>This program posts news to thousands of machines throughout the entire
>civilized world.  Your message will cost the net hundreds if not thousands of
>dollars to send everywhere.  Please be sure you know what you are doing.
>
>Are you absolutely sure that you want to do this? [ny]

The COOK Report on Internet            Index to seven years of the COOK Report
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA  http://cookreport.com
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)           The only Good ICANN is a Dead ICANN
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    What's Behind ICANN and How it Will
Impact the Future of the Internet http://cookreport.com/icannregulate.shtml