---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 1999 22:22:15 -0400
From: Planet Communications <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Dr. Paul Twomey" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Cc: "Francis Fanego, Director" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
    "Jeff Mason, Administrator" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: icann.roberts.19990810 / PCCF Participation in DNSO & ICANN

Attention: ICANN Government Advisory Committee Representatives &
Chairman Twomey

I am forwarding a communication from our organization to ICANN for your
information.  Our position is clearly stated.  If you should have any
questions concerning the contents please feel free to contact me.

http://www.pccf.net/correspondence/icann/19990810-roberts-icann.html
Title: icann.roberts.19990810 / PCCF Participation in DNSO & ICANN
Planet Communications & Computing Facility

REF: icann.roberts.19990810

August 10th, 1999

Michael Roberts, Interim President and CEO
Internet Corporation For Assigned Names and Numbers
4676 Admiralty Way, Suite 330
Marina del Rey, CA 90292

DELIVERED VIA FAX: +1 (310) 823-8649

Dear Mr. Roberts:

RE: PCCF Participation in DNSO & ICANN.

This letter will serve to provide you with notice that Planet Communications & Computing Facility (PCCF) intends to join the Domain Name Supporting Organization (DNSO) of the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN).

Participation in your venture by PCCF does not signify support. Our specific interest is limited to protecting the integrity of existing internet name and number infrastructures.

We have reviewed the historical and legal issues which resulted in the United States Department of Commerce position on the "Management of Internet Names and Addresses" (Docket Number: 980212036-8146-02). Our conclusions are that the United States Government and it's agencies have no established legal right to manage or govern the domain name system or number infrastructure.

We have no alternative but to conclude ICANN has not established the required legal justification to effect control over the infrastructure. Also, we are not convinced that ICANN has the appropriate consensus of the internet community required to justify and solidify it's position on these issues.

Regards

J. Baptista, Administrator

cc: Mr. F. Fanego