[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: And that comment about 'without any of
the messy enforcement problems' got him in some hot water along with
adding still more fuel to the fire in the ICANN controversy.  ICANN
has some very bizarre ways they want to deal with domain name disputes
to say the least ... and without even the slightest, tiny bit of
netizen input. Individual users and small commercial sites will have
absolutely no say-so in anything that happens. Have you seen the
agreement web sites will be required to sign off on in order to keep
(or register) their domain names? Oh, I know according to some people
around here we are not supposed to say anything bad about large
corporations, and how they have 'every right' to be here and how they
have the right to help set the rules and all that, and how we should
not object because they want to make a profit on the sale of their
newspapers, widgets or whatever, but things are getting way, way, way
past that point. They are going to be the *only* ones who have any
say about anything if ICANN gets its way.

And please do not call me an old-timer who is galled because the net
of the 1980's is not around any longer. If I had only purchased a
computer a month ago, gotten on line and stumbled across Internet
Society and ICANN by some accident, reading the tons of stuff that's
been getting sent my way in the past couple days would still scare me
badly. Those people mean business: they are trying to grab the net
and run with it;  the day congressional and/or Commerce Department
imprimateur comes down on it -- if it does -- is a day, that as 'they'
say, will live in infamy. I don't think, however, it is going to
happen now. Far too many people on the net have been climbing all
over them. Instead of me being a bitter, frustrated old man, Vint Cerf
may find himself in that position when MCI-Worldcom wakes up sometime
soon and realizes the half-million dollars they handed him a month
ago was squandered by giving it all to a lawyer to pay his fee and
then the whole thing still went down the tubes. Hey, wasn't that
lawyer supposed to be pro-bono?  That's what Vint Cerf and Esther
Dyson told us a year ago when they hired him.

MCI-Worldcom is never going to see a nickle of that five hundred
thousand back which Cerf convinced -- or guilt-tripped maybe? -- them
into handing over on the premise that the Internet was as good as
dead unless he and Esther got their way. You know the routine by now,
no money for Vint and Esther means no e-commerce, and no e-commerce
means no e-anything. I do not think Cisco is too happy about losing
150-thousand in the same racket either. Tomorrow I have another
installment for you in the special mailings I've been doing, with
more of their antics. I think you will enjoy it as much as I will
enjoy bringing it to you.   PAT]
The COOK Report on Internet            Index to seven years of the COOK Report
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA  http://cookreport.com
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)           ICANN: The Internet's Oversight Board -
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                    What's Behind ICANN's Desire to Control
the Development of the Internet http://cookreport.com/icannregulate.shtml