From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steven)
Subject: Re: Where is the True Power?
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:33:33 +0800

Sorry, I have just read this phone book analogy one too many times.  I
understand that packets still route without the internic, but DNS has
become a fundamental part of using the internet.  If you want a serious
analogy compare it to the part of the telephone switch that maps cable
pairs to telephone numbers.

People have already built new root servers and they have not been very
successful.  Perhaps Bill Gates could make one and pre configure
windows/mac to use it, but others would have a bit harder time getting
people to switch.  To be perfectly honest I don't understand why everyone
hasn't started their own TLDs.  I like the idea of a root server revolt,
but it doesn't seem it would work?

The net result is it no matter how you slice it, it is going to be
controlled more and more by business.  This is inevitable.  There is
money to be made and business is going to go after it.  The name of
the company, and its policy are irrelevant to companies who lose
millions of dollars each day to inflate their share prices.  Ideally
we would create an appropriately named .CON TLD for internet companies
seeking an IPO and the rest of us would carry on as before, but that
seems highly unlikely.  Prying .COM from the jaws of the corporate
alligator seems just as unlikely.  One would be much more productive
lobbying for a new, free, government subsisted TLD for non-commercial
use, or at least the blessing to organize a non-profit one.

I prefer to see the thing privatized, but not in the form of a
franchised monopoly.  You have a handful of companies who run the bulk
of the backbone, let them run the NIC.  They have the know how and are
more interested in selling bandwidth then hype.

Steven

> This has been said many times before, but it bears repeating.  All
> this fuss about domain name policy, registrars, etc., is somewhat of a
> red herring.

> It's like saying that those who hold the true power over the nation's
> phone system do so by virtue of the fact that they publish the phone
> directories.

> When push comes to shove, what really matters is whether my IP packet
> will get forwarded properly from one router to another.

> If things get bad enough and the domain registrars upset too many
> people, new ones will spring up in their place.  Systems will start
> contacting new or additional root domain servers.  In the worst case,
> companies will start publishing their IP addresses together with their
> domain names.  Yes, it will be messy and inconvenient.

> But if those who have control over the backbone and large ISP routers
> start making choices about which packets they will or won't forward
> (perhaps based on whether the source or destination is toeing the line
> on their favorite domain policy) then all bets are off and things could
> reach a state of true chaos very quickly.

> Cheers,

> Clive Dawson
> Austin, TX

[TELECOM Digest Editor's Note: In her message, Judith suggests sending
complaints to an address at the ICANN website. To my way of thinking,
that would be a big waste of time. They are listening to no one and
responding to no one at this point. If you write to complain, I think
your domain name will be one of the first to get snatched, out of
retaliation. If at this point you can find a registrar somewhere who
is not beholden to that crowd, then use it and tell the rest of us
where to find it also.   PAT]