Karl Auerbach wrote:

> > In practical terms, I don't think a "global" vote makes sense. A vote of
> > people worldwide, yes, but only of interested parties who know what they are
> > voting about.
>
> ...As for ICANN's metric of "interested".  It appears to be a metric based on
> the extraction of profits from the Internet.

This issue (as defined) will take care of itself with an open membership.  Only
those who are "interested" will join.  Those who are not, will not.   We are not
threatened by an over-whelming flood of members, but an inability to "interest"
the arbitrarily set "minimum" of 5,000 would be voters.

If, on the other hand, a competency test is attempted, we will reprove the
rule--easier said than done.