Domain Handbook Authors Announce
                        1999 Cyberserk Award

The authors of The Domain Name Handbook are pleased to announce their
selection for the 1999 Cyberserk Award.  This award is bestowed annually
upon a company, organization, institution or individual deemed unclear on
the concept of the domain name system. The winner is picked by a two-person
jury that approaches the task with special seriousness. It is their belief
that highlighting the activities of cyberserkers will provide an
educational reality check, and in 1999, they found no dearth of candidates
qualifying for the dubious distinction.

"Domania" grabbed headlines throughout the year.  With Internet traffic
doubling every 100 days, domain names took on greater ubiquity, but it
would be premature to proclaim that the domain name system came of age in
1999.    Domain names became valuable corporate assets and the shorthand to
an unprecedented repository of information. Dot coms were plastered across
mammoth billboards, brick and mortar store fronts, truck panels, t-shirts
and even tomato labels.  They were featured prominently in television
commercials, magazine ads, packaging labels and syndicated cartoons.

The surging demand for .COM names, coupled with the uniqueness requirement,
raised the price bar on stellar .COMs.   A few near million dollar
milestones were reported during the year:  $1.035M for WALLSTREET.COM at
auction in April, $.5M plus an equity position for COMPUTER.COM in May,
$823,456 for DRUGS.COM auctioned in August.  But these daunting sums paled
in comparison to the new record price paid for BUSINESS.COM late in
November.  eCompanies, a new venture headed by EarthLink Network Inc.
founder Sky Dayton and former Disney Internet executive Jake Winebaum,
bought the domain name for $7.5 million, up from $150,000 when the
BUSINESS.COM last changed hands in June of 1997.  The high priced auctions
did not go unnoticed by cyberspeculators and fed a domain name profiteering
frenzy. Registrations were running about 10,000 per day by year's end.

Concern thst domain names would become a battlecry for customer and
employee beefs, corporations added preemptive and decidedly unflattering
registrations to their holdings.  Procter & Gamble, the 1997 Cyberserk
Award winner, began marketing a new product, Febreze, in 1999, that
neutralizes pet odor. The corporation was so worried that it would become
the target of animal rights activists who believe the product is dangerous
to pets, that it registered the following domains:  FEBREZEKILLSPETS.COM,
FEBREZEKILLSDOGS.COM, FEBREZEKILLSBIRDS.COM, FEBREZESUCKS.COM, and
IHATEPROCTERAND GAMBLE.COM.  The campaign of  Republican Presidential
candidate George W. Bush, unhappy with the satirical and potentially
damaging profile at GWBUSH.COM, registered 260 Bush-related domains,
including some decidedly offbeat ones--BUSHSUX.ORG, and BUSHBLOWS.COM--
that suggested to a hournalist that Bush's advisors thought their job was
to silence all criticism on the Internet, : n the other hand, some of the
                 campaign's purchases were downright weird--it bought such
oddball
                 names as "bushsux.org" and "bushblows.com"--leading one to
                 suppose that Bush's advisors thought their job (however
                 shortsighted and, ultimately, impossible) was to silence
all criticism
                 on the Internet, not just satirical websites that could be
mistaken for
                 the real thing.

A market enthralled by the Internet racked up huge gains for IPOs with .COM
appended to their business name.    MARKETWATCH.COM increased 509% in value
from the issue price and the first day's close while THESTREET.COM, a
financial news Internet site, soared from $19 to $60 on its first day of
trading, a 253% increase.  At least 100 Internet-related companies have
announced name changes in 1999, and more than half of these changes
included the addition of .COM to the corporate moniker.  Eight of the 11
                              companies that announced changes in early May
became .coms. After the online technical book retailer Computer Literacy
came up with a catchy, cool, in-your-face Internet name," Fatbrain.com. he
stock jumped 36 percent, to $28, in
                              one day, adding more than $100 million to the
company's market cap.

On the eve of the introduction of competition into the domain name
registrar business, NSI folded the InterNIC website into its own to help
customers "more easily find the
                       information, services and tools they need, while
stranding thousands of links to the rerouted site.   We bestow upon NSI the
Supra Hairy Hoary for this act which seemed to reveal ore hubris than
cyberserkery.

NSI, the largest registry in the world, usurped the InterNIC site in March,
sending thousands of link worldwide to a virtual dead end.   Due to the
worldwide popularity of the .COM top level domain, NSI branded itself as
"the dot com people" and Sun Systems became the dot in dot com.

An Oregon hamlet whose economy needed a boost, became the first with a .COM
appended to its name.  Halfway, founded in the early 1880s near the Idaho
border, adopted the name HALF.COM, hoping the newfound attention would
bring the town of 365 residents out of its slump.

In an effort to prove how wired the world has become, Mitch Maddox, 26,
also traded in his name.  Now legally called DotComGuy, he moved into an
empty Dallas home at the end of 1999, equipped onlky with a laptop
computer.  For the next twelve months, he plans to rely solely on the
Internet for his survival, ordering food, furniture and clothing online.
The stunt seems strangely reminiscent of the movie dud--Biodome and rates
high on our inhouse cyberserk meter.

Some notable domain name disputes navigated through the court system in
1999.  Domain names were declared property in >>>>>>>
and NSI was ordered to police the mark of ....

                                 UN Domain Name Proposal Rankles, by Will
Rodger (Inter@ctive Week)

http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2234668,00.htm
                                       The World Intellectual Property
Organization has developed a a controversial proposal to arbitrate domain
                                       name disputes.

                         03.30.99

                                 NetSol Spams Name Holders, by Leander
Kahney (Wired)

http://www.wired.com/news/news/politics/story/18837.html
                                       Network Solutions irked scores of
web administrators by sending unsolicited email to domain-name holders
                                       to describe changes in the NSI website.

                         03.27.99

                                 Network Solutions Registers Dissent, by
Michael Martinez (ABCNews)

http://abcnews.go.com/sections/tech/DailyNews/netsol990326.html
                                       A vocal outcry greeted NSI's launch
of a new site on March 20, which replaced the InterNIC WHOIS access
                                       with a host of new services
available through its own NETWORKSOLUTIONS.COM

                         03.26.99

                                 Domain names are property, court rules, by
Courtney Macavinta (C/Net)

http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,34329,00.html
                                       Domain names are property and can be
garnished to pay off a debt, a Virginia court ruled in the
                                       UMBRO.COM case. .

, among them upholding a finding of no contributory infringement by NSI for
registering doman names to parties unaffiliated with the trademark owner
(Lockheed Martin v. NSI), a court opinion that domain names are property
(Umbro Com) and that the registrar must police the use of a tWorldsport.

[Johnson v. ACLU [decided in November by the United States Court of
            Appeals for the 10th Circuit] was the first ruling of its kind.
A federal
            appeals court rejected a state law banning Internet speech
deemed "harmful
            to minors," saying that such laws censor valuable speech for
adults.... The
            case was significant because there has been a trend to apply to
the Internet
            the harmful-to-minors concept, which in the physical world
concerns the
            knowing transmission of speech to a minor [that is likely to be
harmful]. But
            on the Net, it is not possible to know the age of ]

The decision is far from the first to favor the little guy. In September,
Hasbro lost another
                           round in its ongoing battle to reclaim the
domain name clue.com, losing to Internet
                           consulting firm Clue Computing in a Boston
court. Eric Robison, Clue Computing's
                           president and CEO, similarly noted the personal
and financial toll the domain name battle
                           had taken on his small company.

Policy wonks and lawmakers also hammered away at the ongoing
trademark/domain name battle.  ICANN, led by ten unelected and
unaccountable individuals for the most part new to the domain name system,
created a Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy for its 99 new
.COM, .NET and .ORG aregistrars.  It would be hard to over look this
document when considering candidates for our annual Cyberserk Award.

however,  the most significant event in the area of domain names for 1999 was
            not in the courts and not even in ICANN but in Congress. The
Cyberpiracy Act, signed by the
            president on November 29,  gives owners of famous or distinctive
            trademarks the tools they need to go to court and combat the
proliferation of cyberpirates who have tried to profit from others' famous
names. To some, this
            marks the beginning of the end of the Wild West on the Internet

http://www.nytimes.com/library/tech/yr/mo/cyber/cyberlaw/24law.html

Cybersquatters - Internet users who have rushed to buy Web addresses, then sell
                    them later at a profit - were targeted in the
Anti-Cybersquatting Consumer
                    Protection Act enacted Nov. 29. The law followed fierce
lobbying by businesses
                    - and by Hollywood film stars who complained loudly
about Web sites bearing
                    their names and providing links to pornographic sites.

                    Political figures have also been affected. Hillary
Rodham Clinton paid $6,000
                    this year to buy hillary2000.com from a cybersquatter
who had registered the
                    domain name.

                    The new law, part of an omnibus bill dealing with
intellectual property rights,
                    allows trademark owners to recover statutory damages
ranging from $1,000 to
                    $100,000 after proving their trademarked name was
registered by someone
                    wanting to sell it back to them.

>After months of debate, the federal government has adopted legislation
>targeted at registrants of domain names which resemble well-known
>trademarks or personal names.
>
>On November 29, President Clinton signed the "Anticybersquatting
>Consumer Protection Act" (the “Act”) as part of a massive budget bill
>passed by Congress before it adjourned for the year.
>
>"Cybersquatting" describes the practice of registering Internet domain
>names which contain or resemble well-known commercial names or names of
>individuals, with an intent to prevent others from using the domain name
>or to profit by selling the domain name to the owner of the trademark or
>the individual.  Traditional trademark law permits a trademark owner to
>bring an action against a domain name registrant only if the registrant
>is using the domain name in commerce, to sell goods or services.  The
>simple act of registering a domain name has been held not to constitute
>a trademark infringement.  Other trademark remedies, such as "dilution,"
>are only available if the trademark is well-known or famous.  The new
>Act permits an action against a domain name registrant purely on the
>basis of its registration of a domain name.
>
>The new law authorizes trademark holders to file civil lawsuits against
>anyone who, without permission, "registers, traffics in, or uses a
>domain name" which is "identical or confusingly similar" to a protected
>trademark, where the user of the domain name "has a bad faith intent to
>profit from that mark."  Similarly, the law prohibits the registration
>of domain names which use the name of a living person "or a name
>substantially and confusingly similar thereto, without that person's
>consent, with the specific intent to profit" by selling the domain name.
>
>The new law allows federal courts to determine whether a domain name is
>identical or confusingly similar to a protected trademark or name and
>whether the defendant has exercised "bad faith" when registering the
>domain name. The effect of this provision will be to reduce the number
>of available domain names because the “confusingly similar” standard
>will give existing domain name owners the ability to prevent others from
>using similar names. Free speech and privacy advocates have argued that
>the law will restrain free speech by forcing legitimate domain name
>holders to defend their rights through costly litigation.  Trademark
>holders support the law as a response to rampant "piracy” of company,
>product and celebrity names that have great commercial value.
>
>The law provides several factors for courts to consider in assessing
>whether a domain name user has "bad faith intent."   The following
>factors are indicators of "bad faith":
>
>--    If the domain name holder intends to use the domain name in a
>manner that "could harm the goodwill represented by the mark";
>--    If the domain name holder offers to sell the domain name for a
> [...]

f we can band together against predatory
                         practices and drive eToys' stock down, then we
                         have a considerable tool. I feel very strongly
                         that there is a culture in cyberspace despite the
                         boom that we've experienced, and after people
                         have been online for awhile they realize there is
                         more at a stake than being able to shop from
                         your home."

In the last 12 months, an estimated 19 newly
                         public companies have netted stock price
                         increases of more than 1,000 percent. The top
                         gainer, Internet Capital Group, has seen share
                         prices rise almost 3,000 percent since going
                         public in August.

Shares of business-to-business auction site
                        FreeMarkets.com hadn't even started trading
                        Friday when market analyst Scott Eherens
                        began forecasting a dot-com jackpot.
dging by this week's IPO performances, it
                        seems almost common sense to predict
                        stratospheric gains for any new company that's
                        been generating buzz among investors. In the
                        last five days, Net companies like Agency.com,
                        Andover.Net, and FreeMarkets have more than
                        tripled in first-day trading. And let's not forget
                        VA Linux, which set an all-time record Thursday
                        for a first-day IPO increase of more than 700
                        percent.

 Eight of the 11 companies that announced changes in early May of 1999 also
became .COMs.

                 fter a year of big gambles, the biggest of all may be the
wager that
                 our exalted Internet, held together with baling wire and
chewing gum
                 in every conceivable way -- legally, structurally,
economically -- is
            going to be able to withstand the coming heavy weather of a
truly global,
            unregulated economy.
 expandng global economy

 become valuable corporate assets.

Ellen Rony                         ____             The Domain Name Handbook
Co-author                      ^..^     )6     http://www.domainhandbook.com
+1 (415) 435-5010              (oo) -^--                     ISBN 0879305150
Tiburon, CA                        W   W               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           DOT COM is the Pig Latin of the Information Age