-----Original Message-----
From: Russ Smith [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, January 27, 2000 10:17 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Hans Kraaijenbrink;
Amadeu Abril i Abril; Ken Fockler
Cc: Louis L. Touton
Subject: RE: Reconsideration Request 00-1

Dear Mr. Mclaughlin, Reconsideration Committee, and ICANN Board of
Directors:

I wish to amend my request for reconsideration as well as respond to your
message below.  I am also requesting the information I am providing in this
e-mail message be reviewed by the reconsideration Committee as well as
forwarded to the ICANN Board so this may be reviewed prior to the review of
this matter by the ICANN Board.  In addition, I request the reconsideration
board further clarify their response to me on the following issues:

ICANN's incorrect interpretation of the RFC's - It is my understanding that
the RFC's cited place restrictions on host names, not domain names.  A
domain name consists of a) The registration of a domain name and b) the
actual implementation of the name by entering it into the root server
system.  It is my understanding that the RFC's (hence, the contracts) only
prohibit 'a' and not 'b.'  In addition, another RFC (1035) which has
completed several steps in the approval process may become allowed in the
future.

As a side note it has also been pointed to ICANN that there are numerous
domains that are allowed to stay registered even though they do not conform
to the RFC's and, therefore, I believe violate the ICANN/registrar and/or
Registrar/Registry agreements.  Many domains are allowed to stay registered
even though they have no namservers listed.  One example is America Online
has been permitted to keep BLIMEY.COM even though it has not had any
nameservers listed.  This condition has persisted for at least 1 year.  last
time I checked (about a year ago) there were approximately 1,400 domains in
this condition.  I have identified several more since then.

Therefore, I am requesting that the original registrants of the 846
trailing-hyphen domains be given first opportunity to register these domains
in the future should they be permitted by future RFC's.  This situation is
similar to restriction which may be placed on other types of property such
as land.  The government may place a restriction on it such as no building
on wetlands but additional justification is needed to actually take the
property (particularly if there are plans in the works to sell this property
in the future).

It is my understanding that a similar policy has been implemented in the
past by Network Solutions involving the preferential registration.  I
believe this was part of some versions of prior dispute policies and this
situation has happened in several cases and I have documentation proving
such preferential treatment was given to America Online concerning
AOLSEARCH.com.  I understand Mr. Touton has all the documentation relating
to this incident but I will be happy to supply copies if needed.

Clarify "revocation" - I am requesting the reconsideration clarify the
following:

"Mr. Smith appears to be operating under the mistaken impression that ICANN
made a decision to revoke those names.  ICANN does not have the ability to
cancel or revoke specific domain names;  rather, ICANN has the power to
enforce the terms of its agreements with registries and registrars, which
may require the cancellation of registrations performed by mistake."

What is the difference between ICANN/DOC revoking the domains and ICANN/DOC
enforcing terms of an agreement which results in the revocation of the
domain names?  It is my understand that ICANN is operating under a
cooperative agreement with the Dept. of Commerce.  As a result of this
project ICANN/DOC developed standard registrar/registry agreements and
require registrars to implement certain provisions for all
registrar/registrant agreements.  All registrars must follow these
agreements in order to operate their business.  DOC has stated numerous
times that they control the root servers and the cooperative agreement
between ICANN/DOC clearly states the US Government may terminate the ICANN
agreement.  It is my belief that the registrars would have allowed the
domains to stay (and continue registering them) had ICANN permitted a change
in the contract.  As a result ICANN/DOC enforces the provisions and
effectively revokes the domains.  what is the difference between this and
ICANN revoking them?  I have also asked DOC to provide the statutory
authority to seize property in this matter pursuant to the 5th amendment.
They have not provided a response.  I request that the ICANN board identify
this authority.

My request for reconsideration also involves the public statements of Mr.
Roberts of ICANN.  Mr. Roberts clearly indicated in public statements that
"consumer confusion" and other issues relating to the Lanham Act.  One
recorded statement was:

"Frankly, what we're trying to accomplish here,
   as we have all along, is to create consensus
   around the mainstream view, and you know
   we've talked to a lot of people in the last
   couple of days, and there is no general support
   out there for trailing hyphens.  There is
   a broad feeling that trailing hyphens don't help
   anybody and that they do lead to confusion.
   All you have to do is look at some of those
   lists of the names that have been registered out
   there and there are people saying it is intent
   to cybersquat plain and simple."

The issues raised in Mr. Roberts comments were not raised in the official
ICANN statement.  It is very clear that "consumer confusion" was a part of
the ICANN decision.  It is also my understanding and belief that Mr. Touton
has made an extensive effort to cover up the fact that these considerations
were part of the decision.  Without going into a series of conspiracy
theories I believe ICANN should provide a full explanation of the
decision-making process.  If there were problems that occurred, mistakes,
made, etc. these issues should be addressed, mistakes corrected and
additional steps taken to ensure it does not happen in the future.  In
particular, attempts by the ICANN legal staff to cover up issues such as
these should cease immediately as this directly violates the DOC/ICANN
cooperative agreement and I believe would be grounds for intentional
misconduct charges against ICANN staff.

One final note on the public statement issued by ICANN.  The statement
implies that the trailing hyphen domains are causing some type of Internet
instability based on some malfunctions identified.  I have also requested
from Mr. Touton any information supporting this. ICANN has not supplied any.
It is my understanding that these malfunctions involve client programs that
do not work.  Proposed RFC 1035 already takes into account possible failures
of clients and similar failures have also been documented concerning the
longer domain names now being registered.  If there was such a threat ICANN
would not have let the domains continue to operate.  As of January 27, 2000
my domains are still operating:

http://ip-.com
http://microsoft-.com

Russ Smith