In the world of PR, giveaways are a well established tradition. Throughout
the past 100 years, events have been held to exploit a situation or expand
public consciousness.  From a page in PR history, John D. Rockefeller,
although a generous philanthropist, had earned a reputation a scrooge
because of his strike-breaking activities at the beginning of the 20th
century.  In one publicity stunt that is now a textbook classic,
Rockefeller was persuaded to hand out shiny silver dimes to everyone he met
in the streets to dramatize his generosity.

The registerfreedomaindomain offer was a good one in concept, but if fell
flat in implementation. People are more likely to remember yesterday's
error messages than the name of the underlying business providing wholesale
domain registrations.  Indeed, seeing the cgi-script fetch instructions
from Tucows gave me pause.  Who was really in charge of this domain name
offer?

It proved that most of us want to get something for free, but time is
money, too, and after 25 minutes of reloading the IP address and receiving
error messages of one sort or another, I decided it was time to move on to
something more productive like sweeping dog hair out of the entryway.

Name Engine now has an opportunity to resurrect its image.  It could make
good its offer to those who send in five cached files as proof of repeated
but aborted attempts to get through during the alloted free period.

I dump my cache files daily so my evidence of participation yesterday is
gone, but at least my entryway is clean.

>I got through after about 30 minutes of trying.  I finally got all the steps
>to get a domain registered.  It said the registration was successful.  I
>then tried to register anther one and it said only one per person.
>
>I then checked the NSI site and it said it was available.  I then checked
>another registrar and it said it was available.  Since RegisterFree didn't
>let me enter nameservers I expected there would be a fee to reconfigure.  So
>I registered the domain at another registrar first.
>
>Russ Smith

Ellen Rony                         ____             The Domain Name Handbook
Co-author                      ^..^     )6     http://www.domainhandbook.com
+1 (415) 435-5010              (oo) -^--                     ISBN 0879305150
Tiburon, CA                        W   W               [EMAIL PROTECTED]
           DOT COM is the Pig Latin of the Information Age