For those who are disgusted with ICANN,
and the way that they have abused their
position to favor a small minority --
you ain't seen nothing yet!

Consider these criticisms of the IMF/WB:

DENNIS BRUTUS, http://www.50years.org
Now professor emeritus of Africana Studies at the University of Pittsburgh,
Brutus was a political prisoner with Nelson Mandela. A member of Jubilee
2000 South Africa, Brutus said today: "The record of both the World Bank and
IMF over a period of more than 50 years shows that they serve the interests
of the corporations rather than of people. Their policies have led to
increased poverty and misery in much of the developing world. It is time to
stop these policies. Seattle represented a tremendous surge for change in
the world which will be further developed in Washington. What we seek is a
new, just, equitable world in which people are more important than profits."

ORONTO DOUGLAS, http://www.foe.org
Co-author of the forthcoming "Where Vultures Feast: Forty Years of Shell in
the Niger Delta," Douglas was one of the Nigerian lawyers for Ken Saro Wiwa,
an activist who was executed in 1995 by Nigeria's military dictatorship
because of his opposition to Shell's drilling. Douglas, who is deputy
director of Environmental Rights Action, said today: "In Nigeria, through
structural adjustment policies, the IMF and World Bank have wiped out the
middle class, destroyed our educational system, impoverished the people and
been a source of pain in our country. What we have right now is a tiny cabal
of extremely rich people and millions of people who are extremely poor. This
was not the case before the IMF and World Bank started tinkering with our
economy."

JEFFREY WINTERS,
Co-editor of the upcoming book "Re-inventing the World Bank" and associate
professor of political economy at Northwestern University, Winters said
today: "The World Bank's public relations budget is roughly five times its
budget for project auditing and supervision. One consequence of this is the
massive problem of Criminal Debt, that portion of a country's official
foreign debt that is stolen by government officials. For many countries in
the Third World, this is between 25 to 50 percent of the money loaned -- for
Indonesia, it's a third or $10 billion. The population has to pay back 100
percent plus interest. The World Bank's charter requires that it ensure that
the monies it lends are used for their intended purpose -- but since its
inception the Bank has failed to do this, with the losses accruing to poor
people across the developing world."

TREVOR NGWANE, http://www.aidc.org.za
Representative of Soweto in the Town Council of Johannesburg, Ngwane said
today: "The ordinary American citizen is not aware that the policies of the
World Bank and IMF are anti-poor and anti-working class. Their structural
adjustment policies discourage government spending on social welfare and
demand the commodification of essential services like water, electricity and
education. When the ANC government took over, we had a policy that every
citizen was entitled to 50 liters of water per day since during apartheid
many people did not have the water they needed. The World Bank said no, they
said there should be user fees for water and advocated outhouses instead,
but the water table is high and the soil is porous -- the World Bank plan
would have had disastrous health effects. Only through protests were we able
to stop it. In South Africa, our vision was to make education free, but the
World Bank came with this idea that the user must pay, so schools are being
forced to charge. This year, due to budget constraints, the government
stopped funding kindergarten."

OSCAR OLIVERA, JIM SHULTZ,
http://www.americas.org/News/Features/200004_Bolivia_Water/Shultz_and_Kruse
http://www.g77.org
After Bolivia -- bowing to demands from the World Bank -- privatized the
water system in the city of Cochabamba, water rates soared. Workers making
$100 per month got $20 water bills. Thousands protested, shutting down the
city of half a million for a week in early April; the Bolivian subsidiary of
the Bechtel corporation, the new owners of the water system, fled. On April
8, the government declared a state of emergency and shut down independent
media. Olivera, a union leader from Cochabamba and Shultz, executive
director of the Democracy Center, have just come to the U.S. from Bolivia.

MEREDETH TURSHEN,
Author of "Privatizing Health Services in Africa" and a professor of policy
and planning at Rutgers University, Turshen said today: "The IMF and the
World Bank have forced, as conditions of badly needed loans, many African
countries to dismantle their public health services. One consequence of this
is the increased number of reported AIDS cases in Africa. AIDS in Africa is
rarely diagnosed with an HIV test -- they can't afford it. Rather, it's
diagnosed by symptoms, so many of the 'AIDS' cases are actually TB and other
diseases that are easily preventable and treatable if they had minimal
health facilities. Attributing the deaths to 'AIDS' covers for the
culpability of the West in the deteriorating health conditions in Africa and
implies that there's little to be done except get Africans to use condoms,
which dovetails with the World Bank's obsession with population control; it
also plays to sexual stereotypes. The IMF has also ordered currency
devaluations which have severely curtailed drug imports."

QUENTIN DRISKELL, http://www.nlg.org
An attorney with the National Conference of Black Lawyers and the National
Lawyers Guild, Driskell is providing legal assistance to protesters. He said:
"There's a complete atmosphere of repression in Washington: the
illegitimate preemptive arrests, the expansion of the restricted area around
the World Bank building, the storming of the Convergence Center. The
authorities seem bent on not allowing peaceful protests to go forward. The
tactics that they've resorted to almost seem as if they're trying to goad
protesters into acting out. I've been doing political work and protests for
25 years and I've never seen police action like this."

[*compiled from the Institute for Public Accuracy]

Respectfully,

Jay Fenello,
New Media Strategies
http://www.fenello.com  770-392-9480
Aligning with Purpose(sm) ... for a Better World
"If we want to change the world, we have to
begin by changing ourselves" -- Deepak Chopra