Bill,

I'm quite honestly intrigued by the concern you raise.  You may not trust my
word, but I'd nonetheless like to personally assure you that there's no
conspiracy.  I'd further like to back that up with all facts available to
me, so here's what my archived sign-in logs report: You (or someone using
your name!) logged in from IP 207.202.137.127 (which seems to be a dialup IP
used by a company called Northwest Link, www.nwlink.com) using a browser
that identified itself as Netscape 4.61, English, running on Win98.  The
login was made at 5:02PM Eastern time, 8:02PM Pacific time, towards the end
of the Names Council but before the GAC (according to the chat log from that
day).  I'm afraid I have retained neither primary web server nor RealServer
logs going back that far, so I can't tell you what else a user from that IP
might have done, though I can confirm that no one from that IP entered the
chat room via the web-based chat interface.

I should note that nothing about the sign-in looks particularly suspicious.
There were no other remote participation sign-ins from that IP, on that day
or at any other ICANN meeting before or since.  Furthermore, no real-time
comments or chat messages were submitted under your name.

I take your message below to suggest not that another remote participant
impersonated you for some indeterminate and perhaps malicious purpose (a
theoretical possibility I find somewhat intriguing!) but that you believe
ICANN or the Berkman Center added your name to the list of remote
participants in order to add "respectability" to the meeting.  If you're
inclined to think as much, I suppose I ultimately have little ability to
dissuade you from that perspective... but I must say that doesn't seem a
convincing story to me.  Personally, I'd want to explore quite a few other
explanations before making an accusation so serious!

I hope this addresses at least some of your concerns, and I'm happy to
follow up in greater detail either on- or off-list, as you prefer.

Ben Edelman
Berkman Center for Internet and Society
Harvard Law School

William S. Lovell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on [EMAIL PROTECTED]