Leah and all,

  I believe that we are in complete agreement here wit respect to
the LPA letter to the ICANN Board and staff.  It is indeed
insulting and IMHO wrong headed.  Politically speaking it
could make some headway though as it is inherently negative
towards Unions.  As you likely know, negative politics
and the media seem to go hand in hand and plays well with
the public at large, as was clearly shown with the Clinton
scandal.  The same could happen here, but most likely on
a much smaller scale in this instance...

  THe ICANN Board and staff could take advantage of
the use of negative politics as it did with NSI in the past
in this situation with the potential .UNION gTLD being
managed or controlled by the Labor Unions.  It is for this
and other reasons we [INEGroup] believe that a light
weight approach to determining registries and new TLD's
should prevail or predominate any ICANN policy regarding
Registries in general.  If not the DNS wars will most likely
take a turn for the worse, and I don't like the various
potential of that occurring.

  I personally have no direct affiliations with unions or a
position on them one way or another generally speaking.
Some unions are good ones and others are not.  The fact
remains that they are a necessary evil IMHO and have been
for over half a century in the USA anyway.  So to deny
them a gTLD of .UNION should they so choose to
run a registry for .UNION would seem both politically
unpalatable and frankly in violation of the tradition of the
Internet to date.