Karl and all,

  Yes I have been following this situation very closely as well
and can also confirm that at least the IRS has not accepted
ICANN as a 501(c)(3) status, and cannot really determine
at this juncture whether or not they should be granted
such a status.

  Given the nature of ICANN as a calif. Corp. and it's activities,
this may be just read tape on the part of the IRS or it could be
that the IRS doesn't really know what to do.  Neither would surprise
me at all.  Given that ICANN has yet to adequately establish a funding
model, the IRS may be waiting to see how ICANN does this before
proceeding or deciding as well.  This would seem reasonable if it is
the case.  My sources inside the IRS tell me unofficially that this
is one of several concerns it has presently.

Karl Auerbach wrote:

> I have had it confirmed, ICANN still does not have IRS 501(c) status.
>
> Their application is apparently, after 18 months, still pending.
>
> (This is not surprising given that ICANN is trying to squeeze into
> 501(c)(3) and doesn't really seem to fit into any of the defined
> categories of 501(c)(3).)
>
> The fact that ICANN *is not* a 501(c) corporation vitiates protection
> under all the various "volunteer" director protection laws except one.
> (And that remaining one requires a degree of insurance protection that
> ICANN has not yet demonstrated exists.)
>
>                 --karl--

Contact Number:  972-447-1800 x1894 or 9236 fwd's to home ph#