see notes below

On Mon, 17 Jul 2000, Hans Klein wrote:

>     REFLECTIONS ON THE ICANN MEETING IN YOKOHAMA

> CYBER-FEDERALIST       No. 2        July 17, 2000
> Computer Professionals for Social Responsibility (CPSR)
>     http://www.cpsr.org/internetdemocracy
> Internet Democracy Project
>     http://www.internetdemocracyproject.org/
>

> ICANN's board meeting in Yokohama Japan wrapped up yesterday after an
> eventful four days. What follows here is a report of the major events:
>     1. Government Officials Question Privatization
>     2. User Representation Not Killed, Only Weakened
>     3. New TLDs -- $50,000 to Apply
>     4. Launch of the Civil Society Internet Forum
>

> 1. Government Officials Question Privatization
> ICANN received some remarkable public criticism in Yokohama from two high
> government officials.  Paul Twomey (head of the Governmental Advisory
> Committee) and Christopher Wilkinson (the European Union's lead official on
> ICANN) made comments relating to a proposed bylaws revision to reduce and
> possibly eliminate elected (At Large) user representatives on the Board.
> The officials warned that an unbalanced Board could invite government
> oversight of ICANN -- which could, in effect, end the ICANN experiment in
> privatization.

There's a reason for Twomey change of pace.  He has been fired from his
position in the AUS government - and now his future and reputation makes
it or breaks it with ICANN.  Paul now has a direct interest in keeping it
honest (ICANN) and preventing it from failure.

> In separate public comments, these two officials presented a vision of the
> ICANN board as consisting of two parts: an Internet supply industry
> association (the 9 Supporting Organization directors) and a consumer
> association (the 9 At Large members).  In this vision the two associations
> balance each other, with industrial interests matched by consumer interests.
>
> To date, however, only the industry association part has been implemented,
> leaving industry interests unopposed by consumer interests.  With only one
> interest represented, ICANN risks becoming a supply industry association.
> (To use language only slightly more direct than that of the officials,
> ICANN risks becoming a cartel -- a combination of independent business
> organizations formed to regulate supply of goods by the members.  Cartels
> are often illegal or regulated.)
>
> Twomey noted that if ICANN would continue to develop as a one-sided
> industry association, then it might be necessary for governments to
> regulate it to protect consumer interests.

translation - don't screw up or we'll take you over.  in fact this is a
baseless threat.  anyone can run the root and i think twomey has finally
begun to realize that.

> In other words, the fundamental principle underlying ICANN -- that the
> Internet should be managed by the private sector -- was publicly questioned
> by two officials.
>

> 2. User Representation Not Killed, Only Weakened
> Policies about elections were the hottest issues in Yokohama.  In addition
> to government officials, numerous participants also spoke out against the
> proposal to reduce At Large directors.  Alan Davidson of the Center for
> Democracy and Technology, who sounded the initial alarm about this proposal
> just a few days before the Yokohama meeting, was among those who spoke
> cogently at the public comment period.
>
> Nonetheless, the final bylaws revision adopted by the Board still weakens
> user representation.  While five directors will be elected this fall, the
> remaining four seats will remain closed for another two years (until the
> Annual Meeting of 2002).  Thus, user representation will be constrained at
> 5 of 19 seats, rather than 9 of 19 as envisioned in the bylaws.
>
> The near-unanimity of Board members in their support for measures to weaken
> At Large representation was striking.  Of nineteen directors only one, Vint
> Cerf, questioned the reduction. All other directors were either silent or
> spoke in favor of the proposal to reduce elected representatives.
>
> Rules for electing At Large directors also changed.  The Board lowered the
> threshold for candidate nominations from 10% to 2%.  In light of the
> possibility that a very large number of individuals might receive
> nominations, the Board capped the number of nominees at not more than seven
> per region.
>
> 3. New TLDs -- $50,000 to Apply
> ===============================
> The Board's decision on new top-level domain names (TLDs) was mixed.
> Before the meeting, many people predicted that a very small number of TLDs
> would be authorized, perhaps as few as two.  Yet in discussions, Board
> members talked more of a range of six to ten.  Ultimately they left the
> number undetermined.
>
> The big surprise was the application fee: the mere submission of an
> application to operate a new TLD will cost USD $50,000.  The Board felt
> this was necessary to cover evaluation costs.  While such a fee might be
> appropriate for businesses, there was concern that it could effectively
> eliminate non-commercial applicants.
>
> The Board also singled out protection for intellectual property rights as a
> consideration in selecting who would be awarded a new TLD.  This priority
> given to commercial rights in Internet coordination (as opposed to rights
> of speech, privacy, or consumers) is consistent with previous Board policies.

I'll be recommending to my dot.god users that we just sit back and watch
the show.  This is a joke - $50,000 just to give icann a kiss - and no
gurantees.  I'm recommending to my users that we just watch the show and
not throw good money into icann's bottomless pot.