Believe me, we have considered this, and many other options as well! The
level of interest has simply taken us by surprise. The problem is that a
delay would then  be  "unfair" to those who tried and didn't know about the
extended deadline, and so forth and so on. Meanwhile, that would mean
delaying the rest of the process, because we also need time for people to
get their PINs, and then for them to support independent candidates for the
board.  So in the end we decided to keep the schedule as is..... The
deadline, like most deadlines,  is arbitrary anyway, and it makes more sense
to keep it as is because changing it would cause other disruptions.

Esther

At 12:30 PM 7/28/00 -0400, Mikki Barry wrote:
>Esther -
>
>Given the overload with the server and the other technical issues,
>wouldn't it be prudent to extend the deadline for voter registration
>to give another chance to those who have been unable to access it?

Esther Dyson                    Always make new mistakes!
chairman, EDventure Holdings
chairman, Internet Corp. for Assigned Names & Numbers
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
1 (212) 924-8800    --  1 (212) 924-0240 fax
104 Fifth Avenue (between 15th and 16th Streets; 20th floor)
New York, NY 10011 USA
http://www.edventure.com                    http://www.icann.org

PC Forum: 25 to 28 March 2001, Scottsdale (Phoenix), Arizona
Book:  "Release 2.1: A design for living in the digital age"
High-Tech Forum in Europe: November 1 to 3 - Barcelona