if ICANN gave a damn it would have tried MUCH harder.

>At 1:26 PM -0400 7/31/00, Richard J. Sexton wrote:
>> >It's also worth noting that virtually every other major Internet
>> >service has been swamped by unexpected load.  Predicting load, and
>> >engineering for it without prior experience in that particular kind (and
>> >popularity) of service is just plain hard.
>> >
>> >            --Steve Bellovin
>>
>>You really think so Steve? The Porsche mailing lists have 34,000 subscribers
>>and it seems to me the notion of inviting the world to vote on how the
>>Interent will be run (especially in light of all the "outreach" talk
>>that's bandied about) will have a much greater auduience than
>>a bunch of Porche owners. Anticipating 5000 users just weems wacky;
>>if it were me I'd may sure it could work for a million with
>>a contingency plan in place if/whe it exceeded that.
>
>Regardless of whether predicting load is difficult or not, this was something that
>was a part of the contract from the beginning. Government contractors generally must
>abide by the terms of their contract, even if it is difficult.  That is a part of the
>risk of doing business.  Poor planning is rarely an excuse.

The COOK Report on Internet      Index to 8 years of the COOK  Report
431 Greenway Ave, Ewing, NJ 08618 USA   at http://cookreport.com
(609) 882-2572 (phone & fax)            Have you done your part to keep
[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  the Internet free from ICANN's control?
Replace your machine's DNS numbers from http://dnsroot.org/ today