>From John Quincy Adams, "Orations"
(http://www.selfknowledge.net/b/objqa10.htm)

The Revolution itself was a work of thirteen years--and had
never been completed until that day [The writing of
the Constitution]. The Declaration of Independence and the
Constitution of the United States are parts of one consistent whole,
founded upon one and
the same theory of government, then new in practice, though
not as a theory, for it had been working itself into the mind
of man for many ages, and had been especially expounded in the
writings of Locke, though it had never before been adopted by
a great nation in practice.

There are yet, even at this day, many speculative
objections to this theory. Even in our own country there are still
philosophers who deny the principles asserted in the
Declaration, as self-evident truths--who deny the
natural equality and inalienable rights of man--who deny
that the people are the only legitimate source of power--who
deny that all just powers of government are derived from the
consent of the governed. Neither your time, nor perhaps the
cheerful nature of this occasion, permit me here to enter
upon the examination of this anti-revolutionary theory, which
arrays State sovereignty against the constituent
sovereignty of the people, and distorts the Constitution of the
United States into a league of friendship between confederate
corporations. I speak to matters of fact. There is the Declaration
of
Independence, and there is the Constitution of the United
States--let them speak for themselves. The grossly immoral and
dishonest doctrine of despotic State sovereignty, the
exclusive judge of its own obligations, and responsible to no power
on
earth or in heaven, for the violation of them, is not there. The
Declaration says, it is not in me. The Constitution says, it is
not in me.

                ............John Quincy Adams, April 30, 1839

Michael Sondow
      INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS OF INDEPENDENT INTERNET USERS
   http://www.iciiu.org        (ICIIU)        [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Tel(718)846-7482                                Fax(603)754-8927