Pacifica Radio is one of the last sources
of non-corporate coverage of today's issues.
PBS recently did an entire show on its long
history, and how it has struggled and
survived through the decades.

Any change from its historical roots
would be a terrible loss.

FYI:

Jay.

P.S. Pacifica is also one of the few radio
stations to tell the true story about ICANN:
http://www.fenello.com/images/Pacifica.mp3

>                                  FAIR-L
>                     Fairness & Accuracy in Reporting
>                Media analysis, critiques and news reports
>
>ACTION ALERT:  "DEMOCRACY NOW!" IN DANGER:
>Pacifica management turns against free speech
>
>October 19, 2000
>
>According to a leaked October 18 memo from "Democracy Now!" host Amy Goodman
>to the Pacifica Radio network's Board of Directors, Pacifica presented
>Goodman with a new set of "rules" on October 16 which drastically curtail
>her freedom to decide what stories to cover and how, and even attempt to
>restrict her free speech rights. (The memo was not given to FAIR by Goodman
>or any other member of the "Democracy Now!" staff.)
>
>"Democracy Now!," produced at New York City Pacifica station WBAI, is
>Pacifica's most popular and influential show. Hosted by award-winning
>journalists Amy Goodman and Juan Gonzalez, the daily newsmagazine is on the
>cutting edge of American journalism, bringing the public stories and voices
>too often shut out of mainstream media and standing out, as the show's motto
>declares, as "the exception to the rulers."
>
>Over the last year, the national management of Pacifica has become
>increasingly hostile to the crew of the show "Democracy Now!", and in
>particular to Goodman. Goodman's leaked memo reveals that after fruitless
>attempts at good-faith negotiations, Goodman has been forced to file formal
>grievances against Pacifica's management charging "harassment, gender
>harassment and censorship," along with other violations of her union
>contract.
>
>In a violation of Goodman's freedom of speech, Pacifica's new "rules"
>threaten to fire her if she does not clear any and all speaking engagements
>with Pacifica management.  In addition, the network threatens to fire
>Goodman if she does not provide Pacifica Program Director Steve Yasko each
>Friday with "a list of possible shows the following week" and "determine the
>topics of at least three shows the preceding week."
>
>"Essentially, these rules make it impossible for Goodman to continue to
>produce the hard-hitting, breaking news stories 'Democracy Now!' is famous
>for," says FAIR senior analyst Steve Rendall. "It seems clear that Pacifica
>is trying to force Amy out of her job."
>

>Background: The Crisis at Pacifica
>
>Most Pacifica listeners first became aware of the growing conflict within
>the network when in March 1999, Pacifica fired Nicole Sawaya, station
>manager of Berkeley station KPFA; a few days later, veteran reporter Larry
>Bensky was also fired from KPFA for discussing on-air his concerns about the
>network's autocratic management. In the wake of the firings, as many as
>2,000 listeners took to the streets of Berkeley to protest the actions of
>Pacifica's management and demand greater accountability to the community.
>
>As a media watch group dedicated to promoting greater diversity in the
> [...]

+++

Jay Fenello,
New Media Strategies
http://www.fenello.com  678-585-9765
Aligning with Purpose(sm) ... for a Better World
"Wake up, Neo...  The Matrix has you..."  -- Trinity