From: list-boun...@lists.pfsense.org [mailto:list-boun...@lists.pfsense.org] On
Behalf Of Chris Buechler
Sent: Wednesday, November 23, 2011 9:21 PM
To: pfSense support and discussion
Subject: Re: [pfSense] Unstable RDC connections

On Wed, Nov 23, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Ron Lemon <r...@maplewood.com> wrote:

> Good Afternoon,
>

> I have an odd problem that I am hoping someone might be able to assist me
> with.  I have a pfSense 2 box with 2 NICs in it.  WAN and LAN.  The LAN has 3
> subnets on it 10.0.0.0/24, 10.0.1.0/24 and 10.0.4.0/24.
>

> 1.       If I sit in 10.0.1.0 I can connect to an RDC server in the same
> subnet with no problems.
>

> 2.       If I sit in 10.0.0.0 and try to connect to the same server as the
> previous test my RDC connection drops and reconnects maybe once every minute
> or two.
>

> 3.       If I sit in 10.0.0.0 and try to connect to and RDC server in
> 10.0.4.0 it is rock solid.
>

> 4.       If I connect to the same 10.0.1.0 server as in 1 and 2 above from
> outside the building and come in through the WAN it is rock solid.
>

> So it does not appear to be the server, it does not appear to be the switches
> in the building, it doesn't look like the FW as other paths on the same
> interfaces work no problem.  I am stumped.

Guessing that one of the affected hosts is dual homed, so the firewall only
sees one direction of the traffic, and hence will eventually drop the TCP
connection as it starts looking like spoofed traffic. Can't statefully filter
with any firewall if it doesn't see both directions.
That or the other alternative is there is another router in the mix somewhere
that's routing the opposite direction traffic. There is a work around to not
keep state on traffic in those scenarios for the most common case, where there
is a static route involved, but that wouldn't be applicable here. That's an
ugly network in general with 3 subnets on the same broadcast domain, splitting
that up properly into VLANs or similar and hence fixing all the weird routing
possibilities you have in that scenario is the best option, and really the only
option if you need to filter between the subnets. Adding sloppy state firewall
rules for traffic passing between the internal subnets should work around it
too.

 [Ron] Hi Chris,

Your possibilities gave me the missing clue.  We have no dual homed hosts and
technically we only have 1 router but we do have a load balancer and for these
machines (and only these machines) it is acting as a router as well as a load
balancer.  So essentially we did have a man in the middle scenario.  So now
that I know what is wrong I can see if we still need this functionality (funny
it used to work  under 1.3 and as far as I know has been working under 2.0 for
the last couple of weeks since the upgrade) and if so will work on the changes
needed to make it follow all the rules.

So to go with your "ugly network" comment, and I am not disagreeing, I have
machines in the 10.0.0.0 and 10.0.4.0 subnet that need to access machines in
the 10.0.1.0 subnet which is why (in addition to not knowing any better way at
the time) it was setup this way with FW rules allowing the required network
paths to touch where required.  If I go with VLANs (which will be a brand new
experience I have wanted to try, but we have the ugly 4 letter word "time" that
is needed to learn how) can I segregate these networks, still have them all on
a single interface and still allow them to touch where needed?  Can you suggest
any beginning reading for setting up VLANs?  I now have to support this network
layout (which keeps growing) with Hyper-V machines, Blade servers, and physical
boxes just so you have an idea of what kind of a layout I am in.  I always look
forward to learning something new.

Thanks for the kick in the right direction.

PS  So far I am liking 2.0 much better than the previous version and as far as
I knew then it was pretty darn good.

Ron