Sounds like Soekris might be right up your alley if you want physical
interfaces.   http://soekris.com/  .  I've had a net5501 running openbsd
for ages, its been one of my longest operating devices, and I've literally
never had an issue with it.  The net6501 is looking very appealing too.  I
ran pfsense on it for a period of time and it went swimmingly.

as far as dot1q goes, I have no experience with it on pfsense in
particular...   but logical interfaces are just as good as physical
interfaces.  As long as you're not exceeding the bandwidth of the interface
you can aggregate as much traffic across the trunk as you want.  PPPoE is
technically layer 3 even though PPP is layer 2.  If this is the case, it
should not care what layer 2 is doing in terms of logical vs physical.

-Ian