On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Karl Fife <karlf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In the scenario where the hardware interfaces are NOT the same, is it
> possible to do something simple like search/replace the configuration file,
> substituting the interface names?  Is there any reason to believe that
> process would be less than 100% perfect?  Let's assume I have the same
> NUMBER of interfaces on both machines.

I have done this before. Worked great.

My understanding is that current versions of pfSense will prompt you
for the interfaces when it detects this situation but I have not tried
that.  It is a simple experiment to do.

If you have spare IPs on the WAN, I'd recommend moving your gateway IP
to be a CARP address shared by both boxes.  You can leave the older
weaker one as the secondary, and easily do upgrades of hardware and
software with pretty much zero downtime.