> Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 14:49:14 +0300
> From: NorthPole <morfeas3...@gmail.com>
> To: pfSense support and discussion <list@lists.pfsense.org>
> Subject: Re: [pfSense] Quick Thanks from a Happy user
>
> Hi
>
> This is a very interesting application and congratulations on making it!
> If you can It would be very interesting if you could provide details
> in the following.
>
>> - Mail notifications for important events (new user signed up, weekly RRD
>> stats, reboots, ...)

Various solutions: We have a custom portal page where every new user (system)
is redirected to. From there a couple of shell scripts get the IP, Hostname and
Mac-Address together with the values that the user entered on the portal page
(name, email, ack'ed the terms of usage, organization he/she belongs to). At
the end of this process a shell script sends out an email to a group of admins
with these details.

For the weekly RRD stats (we are just interested in the traffic graphs) we use
the package 'mailreport'.

Startup/reboot notifications are send via a simple cronjob with the time
'@reboot'.

For all of this we have installed some perl libs to simplify the email
handling. Ideally this should be done in a PHP extension / pfSense package, but
I didn't go that far yet.

>> - 'Jail' for misbehaving systems and a HTTP redirecting to let them know

Misbehaving systems could be simply slowed-down to a minimum by the bandwidth
limits of the Captive Portal (e.g. just 1 Kbit/s for up- and download). But
this way the user wouldn't know that his system is blocked. In case we want
them to know what happened, we redirect them through a Squid config with the
package squidGuard to a dedicated page for this system. This page then
indicates what happened and why. As this is the only white-listed page in this
particular SquidGuard category, the user (with this system) can't go anywhere
else.

>> - Reports with last time systems were connected (usefull for cleanup RADIUS
>> users)

With the options 'Reauthenticate connected users every minute' of the Captive
Portal, the freeRADIUS logs contain detailed information about how and when
systems connected. Again a couple of shell scripts dig through this data and
provide some useful stats. With the build-in freeRADIUS and our ~100
systems/day we have hit a limit, so that we had to deactivate the ongoing
RADIUS accounting information for now. It seems like we have to move to a
dedicated freeRADIUS installation in order to bypass this. But the idea will
remain the same. It might also be that the freeRADIUS 2 package is providing
some of these features.

>> - Support for external monitoring solutions of internal network devices

We have dedicated nTop and Zabbix systems running outside of the pfSense box
(for us pfSense is the inner firewall between our server subnet and all client
subnets). But many network devices are inside of the client subnets, so
depending on the devices (printer, access point, switch, server), what we want
to monitor, and which access Zabbix needs to the devices, we have created a
bunch of firewall rules and port forwards to selectively allow access. Maybe
the zabbix-proxy package helps to make this simpilier, but we haven't looked so
deep.

>> - Default (low) speed group for unknown users through Captive portal
>> bandwidth restriction

Whenever a user/system is going through the self-signup process (see above), we
assign the system with low bandwidth limits. This way someone can connect, but
can't consume much of our scarce bandwidth. As we receive an email whenever
this happened, we can then check if the system should have more/faster access
to the network and 'promote' it through assigner higher bandwidth limits within
freeRADIUS.

> did you use an external non custom application for these and if yes which?

I could see that some of our features eventually make its way into a clean
pfSense package, but we haven't had the time and skills to investigate deeper
here. So there are a couple of manual installation and config tasks required,
before this all works together. I'm open for any suggestions if or how this
could be made more usable.

Cheers,
christian