On 5/10/2012 4:41 PM, Seth Mos wrote:
>> Last I checked[1], FreeBSD (base OS of pfSense) ran on the V100's as well.
>> Just another option for you to consider.
>
> It's a considerable amount of time to build a pfSense image for Sparc, it's
> been tried before with MIPS. It just takes inordinate amount of time.

It would be a lot faster on Sparc at least you'd have a decent amount of
CPU/RAM/Storage, unlike MIPS which lacks all of the above. MIPS was also
a Tier 3 arch, sparc64 is a Tier 2 at least.

The fact that it's a Tier 2 arch still holds it back in some regards,
there could be breakage in some/all the ports we need, and undoubtedly
patches would fail or not happen in needed places.

Not to mention the complete lack of hardware (or funding) to pursue such
a thing.

Jim