Looking through the forums and mailing list archives, I see
recommendations for the following two devices to handle my network
throughput:

Hacom "Mars" system
<http://www.hacom.net/catalog/mars-ii-pfsense-1u-server> and Netgate
FW-7535 <http://store.netgate.com/Netgate-FW-7535-1U-P1695C84.aspx>

Both of these are built around CPU/motherboard that are over two years
old.  This calls into question to me the continued availability of
parts for these systems, and also that there ought to be similar
form-factor systems of higher performance available by now.

Are there any newer systems with at least 4 Gig-E ports?

My data traffic load is about 70Mbps at 95th percentile measurement,
most of which is outbound.  I'm also looking to use either the
built-in load balancer or HA proxy in my new configuration to handle
two web sites, one of which takes about 300k page hits/day, and
another URL shortener service which does about 700k/day.  The web
sites are not what account for the bulk of the traffic.

Thanks for any advice.