Greetings list,

For my sins, I'm currently helping a residents' group set up wireless broadband in a rural area. I estimate they could end up with around 750 'subscribers' who will want service.

I've never really used the PPPoE server in pfSense in anger - in the past I've tended to use Linux boxes running rp-pppoe or similar, but in this context, I wonder if pfSense might be the better choice, especially at wireless mast sites where low power consumption will be a consideration.

So, has anyone used pfSense's PPPoE server in a SP environment, and if so, what were your experiences? I suppose I'm interested in the following:
 - performance (esp. performance per Watt)
- integration with RADIUS - will it just authenticate usernames/passwords and get a single IP, or does it supply a fairly comprehensive set of AAA data?
 - allocating public subnets (e.g. /29, /28 etc.) to subscribers
- IPv6 support - is the PPPoE server ready for v6 in the latest 2.1 snapshots?

Any feedback gratefully appreciated.

Kind regards,

Chris