Thanks everyone for your feedback on such a general question.

I must say that pfSense is truely impressive and has almost everything you need
for an advanced firewall/gateway. It can also be extended and used to serve
non-firewall apps such as VoIP and more. In any case and despite what firewall
purists may say, I suppose you can install whatever the underlying FreeBSD
system allows you to, just as long as you manually configure it via shell (is
this true or has pfSense changed the directory structure, the init system or
any other aspect?).

However, has pfSense forked so much from FreeBSD to the extent that applying
its patches is a draconian task? I have no idea but I'm supposing that most
patches are for the kernel. If so, why haven't they been accepted upstream?

Anyway, thanks for the great software and I hope it will go smoothly on my
first production setup.

Vieri