On 2013-10-09 18:20, Paul Kunicki wrote:
I think that in light of the recent news of the NSA coercing various organizations to provide them with means to eavesdrop this message has merit and deserves response

Exactly, Paul, you got my point!

although I doubt the NSA really needs cooperation from these guys. Does anyone else care to comment ?

@your doubts about the NSA/FBI/<put the name of your government's surveillance institution here> bothering with smaller companies such as Electric Sheep Fencing LLC (formerly BSD perimeter) and their niche product pfSense:

Please take these 2 things into account:

1. Recently they forced the small encrypted-email-service "Lavabit" to comply with them (hand out their SSL-masterkeys & install a "black-box" at their premises). Lavabit did not agree - and they shut him down. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lavabit. Officially they wanted to force Lavabit to just hand out Edward Snowden's emails (bad enough), but in reality they wanted to gain access to all emails of Lavabit by receiving the SSL masterkeys and by placing the blackbox at their premises, which rendered the whole service useless.

2. Routers/Gateways/Firewalls are highly interesting for big brother. Read e.g. this article "NSA Laughs at PCs, Prefers Hacking Routers and Switches" (https://mailman.stanford.edu/pipermail/liberationtech/2013-September/011287.html)

So, combining those 2 facts - the fact that the NSA/FBI/etc. prefer to infiltrate routers with the fact that they very well bother knocking the doors of small businesses with niche products, I guess my question is quite legitimate!

Greetings
Thinker Rix