On Wed, Oct 09, 2013 at 11:42:31AM -0500, Adam Thompson wrote:

> Argh.  Anyone who answered "Yes" to your question (correctly, mind you) would
> immediately be committing a federal crime.

All assuming the company in question resides in the US, or has
significant presence in the US. There is, of course, considerable
strong-arming and informal co-operation going on behind the
scenes, so geography is not exactly a good protection.

I've personally given up on any commercial software, and
moved to purely community-built tools, and will take considerable
protection now that we know that Ft. Meade is in the business
of hacking end users and companies.

> Considering the consequences, no-one in their right mind would ever confirm
> that they had been approached or received a NSL.
> Which makes asking the question quite irrelevant.

The question is useful, since it produced this thread.
As I suggested, if you're not trusting pfSense, you can
always manually verify the rules generated by it, and
load it into a pf-speaking device you consider trustable.