Since we keep coming back to FreeBSD as it pertains to security:

 3) FreeBSD is very mature, and very well reviewed.  I've looked into
>> FreeBSD to my personal satisfaction.  OpenBSD may be abrasive as a
>> community at times, but their work product is pretty impressive in terms of
>> being clean and funcitonal.  I was very happy with how they handled that
>> whole IPSec fiasco in 2011.  I've been following pfSense for a while now,
>> and I've used it off and on for years.  I'm very satisfied by the quality
>> and oversight of the coding.   But by all means dig as long as your
>> curiosity holds out.  you can never be "100% sure" of the security of any
>> software, but "sufficiently sure" is absolutely worth looking into.

FreeBSD is not the distribution in the BSD
family<http://www.freebsdworld.gr/freebsd/bsd-family-tree.html>that is
best known for
security<http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/faq/introduction.html#idp75150000>.
Indeed OpenBSD has a specific focus on security
(which<http://www.openbsd.net/papers/crypt-paper.pdf>
has <http://www.benzedrine.cx/pf-paper.html>
been<http://openbsd.md5.com.ar/papers/eurobsdcon2009/otto-malloc.pdf>
studied <http://research.microsoft.com/pubs/79177/milkorwine.pdf>, as has
the relationship between the
BSDs<http://www.cs.gmu.edu/~offutt/rsrch/papers/srs-bsd.pdf>),
but FreeBSD focuses on being more inclusive of a variety of hardware at a
cost of not being 100% open source.
That is a tradeoff, but it does not mean that FreeBSD is not secure, it
just means ... well I have not found a study about that yet.

- Y