On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 12:53 AM, Thinker Rix <thinke...@rocketmail.com>wrote:

> Would pfSense use this CPU instructions so to hardware-encrypt/decrypt all
> VPN traffic (openVPN)?
> Woud pfSense benefit from this in any other way, too?

pfSense lists the AES-NI as a supported option for crypto acceleration.
 pfSense will use it for OpenVPN and IPsec if you tell it to. There's a
config setting for it.

As to your question of is it worth the cost, that depends on how much VPN
traffic you have. The Xeon will handle a damn lot of traffic all on its
own. If you are pushing more than 40Mbps on the VPN, then perhaps consider
the extra cost. If it is low, like under 5 or 10Mbps, then I'd probably
suggest that it is not worth the cost.

As a reference, between my data center and my primary office, I have an
IPsec tunnel.  The office runs on an old Intel 32-bit Pentium 4 2.4GHz dual
core server.  The data center runs on Intel Xeon E31220L @ 2.20GHz
quad-core. Neither one has any built-in cryptodev supported devices. The
IPsec tunnel maxes out at about 20Mbps during large file backups. I don't
think it would go any faster with hardware acceleration, and the load on
these boxes hovers around 0 still. The data center firewall is also busy
pushing over 100Mpbs of regular traffic to hundreds of clients as well.