Hi folks

I've run into an issue that has me somewhat confused. Our multiwan router is up and "working". This is 2.1 release. I've got 2 ports to two different network providers (different technologies at that).

Following the directions ( https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/Multi-WAN_2.0), I

1) set up a Gateway group called MultiWANGW which has both gateways. Both were originally set as tier 1. More on this in a moment.

2) set up outbound LAN->any mapping to use the MultiWANGW in the Gateway of the LAN rule governing outbound traffic.

3) I have two distinct DNS servers set up per gateway under Systems->General.

I've verified that gateway monitor reports them working. Actually everything appears to be working ... except ...

One or two sites (Ariba http://www.ariba.com and a few others) seem to have some significant problems if I leave both gateways at tier 1. Once I change it so that one (the slower backup one) is tier 2, it works. This has the impact of not doing an explicit load balance from what I have read on it.

So ... my question is, what diagnostics should I try to be able to identify the issue (some sites not working when the system is set in load balanced mode)? I did try setting the sticky mode (System->Advanced->Miscellaneous), though I am not sure this is correct for outbound load balanced multi-wan.

Overall, its working nicely, with a few strange things like this, with one larger exception that I have a work-around for. More in next email.

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D
Founder and CEO