>> My knee jerk reaction is that this is A Bad Thing(tm), and I reloaded the
>> devices with images from ESF. Does anyone here have a strong opinion one way
>> or the other?

In principle, perhaps, in practice probably not.

I've been using pfSense for awhile now, and buying hardware from Netgate for
about as long.

I realize that letting someone else load the software is a potentially huge
security hole (I certainly don't reimage all of the PCs I buy from major
manufacturers).

The impression I get is that Netgate wants to succeed as a business and pfSense
wants to succeed as well, so while possible, it is unlikely that anything fishy
is going on.

If anyone is up to no good, someone else can uncover the conspiracy–I have
neither the time nor ability. Ultimately I started buying the Alix hardware
with the preloaded images to save time. The other benefit is that someone else
assembles the box, and tests overall function before it leaves the factory. I
don't have to discover failed equipment at the last minute.

The one practical thing that I have found is that the Netgate skin does make it
harder to configure VPN tunnels… something to do with the way the skin was
built. Switching to the pfSense default resolves the issue. This may have been
fixed already.

At the end of the day, I like Netgate as a vendor and spend money with them
when I can. I trust them as much as anyone can trust a business, and will
continue to buy their pre-imaged PF boxes. I have no affiliation with Netgate
or the pfSense organization beyond being a happy customer.

Jeremy