Is the VIP CARP or IP Alias?

... according to the VIP capabilities chart, they're the only VIP kinds that
can do ICMP:
https://doc.pfsense.org/index.php/What_are_Virtual_IP_Addresses?

Since we don't allow ping-response, I thought I'd test this theory.  All 3 of
the following worked (LAN routing to internal system was previously setup):

- I first created a Port Forward rule to allow pfSense to respond to WAN pings:
WAN  ICMP  *  *  WAN address  *  127.0.0.1  *  WAN pings to pfSense

- Then I created a Port Forward rule to allow pfSense to respond to pings on
one of the static VIP IPs:
WAN  ICMP  *  *  x.12  *  127.0.0.1  *  static VIP pings to pfSense

- Then I created a Port Forward rule to allow an internal system (which has a
system-level firewall that's configured to respond to pings) to respond to the
ping:
WAN  ICMP  *  *  x.13  *  x.206  *  static VIP pings to internal system

If that's not it, then someone else needs to chime in as you've exhausted my
knowledge in this area.