On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 10:58 PM, Aaron C. de Bruyn <aa...@heyaaron.com>wrote:

> Good to know.
>
> Slightly OT, but why would they have ARP cache timeouts of four hours?
>  What benefit do you get with such high cache times as opposed to the
> obvious support calls you will get when equipment is swapped around?
>
> -A
>

> On Sat, May 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM, Moshe Katz <mo...@ymkatz.net> wrote:
>

>> Hi Aaron,
>>
>> Most cable modems I have worked with in the US (on Comcast, Optimum, and
>> RCN) all do ARP caching, so you need to reboot them when you change the
>> connected device (or you need to clone the old device's MAC address).
>>
>> Actually though, working with DSL is worse.  Verizon DSL does ARP caching
>> in the Central Office for up to four hours.  I have found that replacing
>> equipment hooked up to Verison DSL, it is best to already be on the phone
>> with Verizon support to have them manually clear the cache.  At least
>> rebooting the cable modem is something you can do yourself.
>>
>> Moshe
>>
>> --
>> Moshe Katz
>> -- mo...@ymkatz.net
>> -- +1(301)867-3732

I have no idea why they set it up that way.  I do know that they do not
have that problem on Verizon FIOS.  If you have a static IP on a FIOS
connection, then you can plug in and unplug whatever you want and it works
just fine as long as you set the IP address properly.

Also OT, if you are ever working with a FIOS connection that has a dynamic
IP address, you must *manually* release the DHCP-assigned address from the
old device before you put in the new device.  Verizon's DHCP servers also
do MAC caching and will not respond to a new MAC address on your connection
unless the old device has explicitly given up the address.  In these cases,
you either need to wait until the address expires (usually less than 24
hours), clone the old MAC address, or call support and have them end the
old lease.

Moshe

--
Moshe Katz