> Even if adding more memory corrects the issue, I still don't like to know
> that pfsense can suddenly die and leave no clues behind :-|.

pfSense is pretty stable. I've tested it in many VMs and 'bare metal' systems
and it doesn’t freeze on me. Of course, I might not be using the same
combinations of packages as you, but I would suspect the hardware, or
troubleshooting as you’ve done: increasing the ram. Overheating can be a
problem.

I use KVM on centos and ubuntu server, and freebsd does not like some settings.
It can fail to boot with the default CPU emulation, for example.