You've made two contradictory statements here:
1) you want to know how to *change* a WAN interface, but
2) "We're moving it over from another firewall..."

Which is it?
Why do you need to do things one step at a time? Again, that contradicts #2, above.
Also, how much downtime is acceptable?
You also mention VRRP - pfSense doesn't do VRRP, it does CARP. Is the VRRP from the old firewall? Are you in fact setting up redundant firewalls, or are you just using CARP as a convenient way to establish additional IP addresses? If you're moving to a new firewall, why do you have it connected directly to the old WAN at all?

Right now, it sounds like you're worrying about trivial items (e.g. source IP addresses) without having a good big-picture grasp on the process first. Who cares what source IP address gateway-monitoring ICMP packets or DNS packets come from? I assume anything originating from the firewall will by default use the primary interface IP, but I don't know for sure - that stuff "Just Works" regardless of which IP address it originates from.

I'll stop here for now until you've addressed the contradiction.

-Adam