On 9 Sep 2014, at 14:01, Albert Dengg <alb...@fsfe.org> wrote:
> the second question is also related to virtual ip's:
> is there a way to configure a failover for the second wan interface,
> if there is only one ip assigned to me by the isp?

My understanding (and this isn’t limited to pfSense - I’ve seen the same thing
using linux-ha, heartbeat, CARP, etc.) is that you need a minimum of 3 (usable)
IPs to achieve what you’re looking for, so in effect you’ll need your service
provider to offer you a /29 range (assuming their gateway is assigned one of
those IPs).

I suppose you could fake it by running NAT on whatever equipment your ISP
provides, but then you’ll end up with a double NAT situation, and that’s
horrible :-)

Kind regards,

Chris
--