Thanks for the input everyone, you confirmed my thoughts. I'll build a 2.x
system on replacment hardware, manually copy the config (unless I can
restore from the original ?) and swop them over

Nick Upson, Telensa Ltd, Senior Operations Network Engineer
direct +44 (0) 1799 533252, support hotline +44 (0) 1799 399200