On Oct 29, 2014, at 11:02 AM, Jon Munford <jon.munf...@nlcsd.org> wrote:

> A bit of clarification. The content filter sits inline between the l3 switch
> and pfsense and all 3 use vlan 10.  I just need to make vlan 10 untagged
> instead of tagged.  I'm not sure how to do that in PFsense.
>
> On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 12:59 PM, Chris L <c...@viptalk.net> wrote:
> On Oct 29, 2014, at 10:54 AM, Jon Munford <jon.munf...@nlcsd.org> wrote:
>
> > I have an "internet vlan" that is Vlan 10.  Right now I have the traffic
> > tagged on my L3 switch and PFsense and all is working well.  My issue is
> > that my internet filter that sits between the two needs to have an untagged
> > vlan.  While my l3 switch can easily change to untagged vlan 10, how do i
> > tell PFsense that I want vlan 10 to be untagged and not tagged?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > -Jon
>
> You can tag to pfSense and untag to other ports.  A mix of tagged and
> untagged ports is perfectly normal.  When an untagged port receives traffic,
> it is put on the untagged VLAN.  When an untagged port needs to transmit, the
> VLAN tag is stripped.  No special consideration or configuration is needed on
> the device plugged into the untagged port.  It thinks its on VLAN 1 (default
> VLAN untagged).

Put pfsense on an untagged port and assign it to the untagged interface.  If
your tagged interface is em0_vlan10, assign it to em0.

If you need multiple VLANs on the pfSense interface, you likely can’t.  Depends
on the capabilities of the internet filter that will have to forward tagged
traffic through to the switch.