Sorry my network has been limited with pfsense being down. I am at work now trying to get caught up. My pfsense is the current version (2.1.5) and the esxi was installed in March/April of this of this year so I assume its the most recent that supports my hardware. Just not sure why out of the blue things just stopped working. I have zero knowledge of BSD so troubleshooting is somewhat limited. I did try different cables, I ran the repair option on esxi boot/install cd. The hardware is a Dell Power Edge 2850 with on board nics. Asides from the learning curve of pfsense and some glitches here and there with packages it's worked for the most part. I did add another nic to the machine which I'm told was removed from the same type machine and is a genuine intel card. It has the same symptoms. Connected vs Disconnect are reverse. Plugged in ethernet cable vs not plugged in. The lights on the cards at both ends to light when plugged but for some odd reason the vmware network setup disagrees.

I was toying with a reinstall but that would wipe the drive and thus the pfsense vm which I'd hate to do on a chance it may fix. I do realize this isn't a support list for this type of situation so I'm grateful for the information that has been given thus far. Is there a file or something that can be edited that has this configuration?