I have observed this happening when there are infected machines in the network
that incessantly send web requests. This causes squid to query filterdns which
fills all the states and new connections are slow to open.

Have a look on state table and you will see most of them from 127.0.0.1 to
127.0.0.1:53.

Immediate measure can be not to use dns-forwarder as DNS for the firewall. Sift
through squid access log to find out infected machines and sanitise them.

Regards,
Nishant