On 2015-Mar-04, at 6:20 AM, compdoc <comp...@hotrodpc.com> wrote:

> For me, what happens after enabling or disabling those settings are
> immediately apparent.

I guess my approach w.r.t. a mailing list has always been that I'd like to help
others avoid spending time learning something I can help with.  As such
(paraphrasing) "try it and you'll see" isn't a response I'd give.  Of course,
in absence of finding the answer in the documentation or via Mr. Google, we can
always set up a test system and investigate (given the ominous warnings, I
wouldn't have done so on a production system) ... but then why have the list?

On 2015-Mar-04, at 7:17 AM, Jim Thompson <j...@netgate.com> wrote:

> Answering any question post-sale is “support”.

Ah, so I should have asked _before_ ordering the NICs?  $;-)

>> Does anyone know the answer to my questions about the various offloading
>> settings that should be used with these cards?
>
> LRO works by aggregating [...]
>
> In case it’s not clear by now, these settings are all *disabled* by default
> in pfSense.

Thank you for an answer that nicely goes "above and beyond" my expected "(we)
use these settings" response.

So your effort can be of maximum benefit, I've submitted a slightly
edited/formatted version of this to be included in the WiKi's applicable
pfSense documentation page.

Bryan D.
http://www.derman.com/