Sadly, I know several xDSL providers who offer a default gateway not in the
client's subnet.  (LOL: my phone auto-corrected "subnet" to "fuckety".  No
kidding.)
Linux and Windows and MacOS can deal with this level of brain-deadness, *BSD
cannot.
However, the good news is that if your network is so broken that you're trying
to route out an interface with a /32, changing that to a /31 is unlikely to
break anything more than it's already broken.
-Adam